‘The occupation of Gaza is also an annexation plan’

  • actual
  • 09:17 22 August 2025
  • |
img

İSTANBUL – Alptekin Dursunoğlu, Editor-in-Chief of Yakın Doğu Haber, described Israel’s plan to occupy Gaza as simultaneously a plan for annexation.

After over a year of attacks, Israel has decided to fully occupy Gaza. Following cabinet approval, 60,000 reservists were called up. The operation is planned in several stages, aiming to conclude by early 2026, with reports suggesting it will begin on September 2.
 
Dursunoğlu explained that the occupation plan pits three forces against each other: Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s coalition partner and National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir’s desire to annex Gaza, the Israeli military’s skepticism about this possibility, and the social tension caused by attempts to draft Haredi Jews—who have long been exempt from military service. Haredim, making up 10% of Israel’s population and studying in religious schools, traditionally refuse to serve, and their conscription has sparked serious societal divisions.
 
Highlighting the political fallout, Dursunoğlu said: “Netanyahu’s government is supported by ultra-religious parties opposing Haredi conscription. However, the army needs soldiers, and other social groups object that they risk their lives while others avoid service. The military opposes the Gaza occupation realistically, but Netanyahu’s war-supporting cabinet members threaten to break the coalition if the occupation does not proceed.”
 
‘NETANYAHU SEEKS TO PRESERVE POWER’
 
Dursunoğlu argued Netanyahu’s insistence on war is driven by his desire to maintain power. This has led to public dissatisfaction, exemplified by a million-person protest, and dissent within the military, where some question, “Are we sacrificial lambs for your political survival?” said Dursunoğlu and added: “The coalition’s extremist factions warn that failure to occupy Gaza and reject prisoner exchanges will dissolve the government. The military fears the high cost but ultimately yielded to government pressure to approve the occupation plan.”
 
‘THE OCCUPATION MEANS FORCED DISPLACEMENT’
 
Dursunoğlu emphasized that expelling Gaza’s population amounts to forced displacement of two million people. Potential destinations discussed include Sudan, Somalia, Jordan, and Egypt—all of whom have rejected receiving displaced Gazans. He described the removal of Gaza’s people as genocide, noting 60,000 have already been killed and hundreds of thousands wounded. Despite this, no deterrent response has come from the U.S., other countries, or Israelis.
 
He stressed the displacement plan’s impracticality: “After occupying and annexing Gaza, Israel plans to send survivors to countries like Egypt and Jordan, but these regimes oppose it for security reasons. The U.S. has tried to persuade them with threats and incentives, but failed. Jordan especially cannot absorb such a large population without destabilizing its society.”
 
‘ISRAEL DESTROYS EVERYTHING IT SEES AS A THREAT’
 
Dursunoğlu said Israel aims to eliminate all it perceives as threats; occupying Gaza means erasing two million people. He noted no power currently exists to stop Israel. “Previously, Syria was a barrier to Israel’s expansionism. But today’s Syria, under Bashar al-Assad, serves Israel’s security interests,” he argued. “No one can stop Israel now. If it cannot carry out this plan, it is because it lacks the capability, not because others stopped it. Therefore, resisting the occupation is the only option.”
 
MA / Esra Solin Dal

View More Articles

14:42 Attack on prisoners in Dumlu Prison
14:25 UN: 841 people executed in Iran in 8 months
13:45 Third day of the 'Social Democratic Alliance Conference'
12:40 Commission should listen to Abdullah Öcalan says Lawyer Ekin Yeter Moray
11:20 Öcalan must be released if there is to be real peace
10:06 Öcalan: Democratic society, peace and integration are three key concepts of process
09:39 Programme for World Peace Day in Êlih announced
09:35 DEM Party’s Çetin Yıldız calls for participation in Kadıköy peace rally
09:34 Human rights activist calls for dialogue with Abdullah Öcalan and legal reforms
09:32 Documentary “Bîra Sûrê” sheds light on destroyed memory of Sur
09:31 New bore being drilled in Basa: Nature destruction to deepen
28/08/2025
16:36 SOHR: Transitional government executed 95 Druze
16:09 Rojava can be a peace project for the Middle East says Salih Muslim
16:00 Reaction to attempt to demolish the gravestone of Önkol siblings
15:44 Letter from 107 international organisations to the UN on Afghanistan
15:36 TJK-E calls for global outcry against executions in Iran
14:00 ‘Right to hope" must be implemented says former Speaker of Parliament Arınç
12:27 Former Speakers of Parliament at the Commission meeting
10:25 DEM Party delegation set off for İmralı to meet Öcalan
09:16 23 suspicious deaths and 3 femicides in 8 months: There is no perpetrator
09:15 Blocking Kurdish language violates the spirit of peace, says Peace Mother
09:13 Expectations from the Commission in Amed and Wan
09:12 Release of prisoner delayed for 3 months for not comment on 'process'
27/08/2025
16:45 Demands from TBB President to Commission
15:32 Legal framework to be discussed for the Commission says Parliament Speaker
13:54 Kurdish Women's National Union: Death sentences must be cancelled
13:22 ‘Öcalan should be heard by parliament commission’
10:57 Call to women for September 1: Let’s gather at the Kadıköy rally
09:53 She lost two children in conflict: We want our language and identity
09:39 Ministry's response to 'condolence ban': The family left of their own accord!
09:27 'The commission is working, but isolation continues'
26/08/2025
16:41 Attempt to demolish grave by military in Licê
16:27 Conditions of Öcalan must be improved says DEM Party Spokesperson
16:16 179 people executed in a month
14:34 Woman activist sentenced to one year in Iran
13:58 Öcalan must be heard as the primary party to the process says DEM Party MP
11:59 Transfer of prisoner refusing to go to hospital in slippers cancelled
10:26 İmralı Delegation to go to İmralı on Thursday to meet Öcalan
10:09 Mandela's lawyer: Öcalan's statements provide hope for peace and justice for all
09:46 246 journalists killed in Gaza since 7 October
25/08/2025
16:26 Schedule of 6th and 7th meetings of the Commission announced
13:53 DEM Party İmralı Delegation to go to İmralı this week
09:34 ‘Organizing struggle for equal and free life crucial in upcoming period’
09:33 Zeki Bayhan’s letter on isolation translated into three languages
09:32 Free dialogue conditions needed for Abdullah Öcalan, says Red Party Secretary
09:31 Prisoners face book bans and restrictions on activities due to alleged staff shortages
09:30 Xwebûn out with headline 'Language is the redline'
24/08/2025
17:01 New constitution call to women: Let's make our word common
16:56 ‘Kurds and Turks at a historic crossroads: Peace must be unconditionally supported’
15:54 Statement from Autonomous Administration regarding elections