Thousands of lawyers calls from İstanbul Courthouse: Withdraw the law proposal

img
İSTANBUL - Hundreds of lawyers gathered in front of a courthouse in Istanbul on June 30 to protest a draft bill submitted to parliament by the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP).
 
“They want lawyers to refrain from talking about politics, but we’ll do so until we die. We need to protect human rights and the superiority of law. I’m telling Ankara from here; The bars won’t be silenced. We won’t bow down and obey,” Istanbul Bar head Mehmet Durakoğlu said.
 
Hundreds of lawyers gathered in front of a courthouse in Istanbul on June 30 to protest a draft bill submitted to parliament by the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP).
 
The bill submitted earlier in the day aims to decentralize the bar associations by permitting the establishment of alternative associations in Istanbul, Ankara, and İzmir, which represent nearly half of all lawyers in the country.
 
The bill also seeks to change the election system of the executive board of the Turkey Bar Associations in a way to break the power of three biggest associations so that provincial organizations would have more of a say in the lawyers’ agenda.
 
The AKP’s move is slammed for trying to increase pro-government influence in bar associations. As lawyers began gathering in front of the Çağlayan Courthouse for their Defense Rally, police encircled the area and implemented tight security measures. Istanbul Bar Head Mehmet Durakoğlu addressed the lawyers in front of the courthouse, saying that the bars won’t be silenced. “We’ll prove how this bill breaches universal norms of law and the constitution,” Durakoğlu said. His speech was frequently interrupted by the lawyers’ call on Union of Turkish Bar Associations head Metin Feyzioğlu to resign.
 
Feyzioğlu, in his defense, said that he also opposes the bill, but has to “stand close to” President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to “defend the rights of the lawyers.” 
 
“They want lawyers to refrain from talking about politics, but we’ll do so until we die. We need to protect human rights and the superiority of law. I’m telling Ankara from here; The bars won’t be silenced. We won’t bow down and obey,” Durakoğlu said.
 
He also said that the bill is a project of the followers of U.S.-based Islamic preacher Fethullah Gülen, whose official name is the Fethullahist Terrorist Organization (FETÖ).
 
“During the 2010 [constitutional] referendum, we said, ‘Don’t hand the judiciary to FETÖ,’ but they praised Gülen in response. This is also a FETÖ project! It’s a project that was planned with the 2010 referendum,” Durakoğlu said.
 
“This country needs lawyers. We’ll respect parliament’s decision, but will tell those who’re trying to use the power of legislation as a weapon that it will turn to them like a boomerang. This is our democratic right,” he said. The lawyers started a sit-in protest following the blockade.
 
 
   

View More Articles

19/04/2021
12:34 ÇGD Award for 'Successful Journalists' goes to our reporter Cemil Uğur
12:23 Bayındır: The stance of İmralı is the stance of peace
12:23 TEPAV: Women’s employment shrinks in Turkey in January
11:29 Hunger strike in prisons enters day 144
11:28 'Ankara Convention' confines the women within boundaries
11:27 Teaching at Kobané University, Zizek: We will learn to rebuild democracy from the Kurds
11:27 Violent clashes in Serêkaniye: Mortar shell hits Ceylanpınar
17/04/2021
14:58 'The prosecutor expressed opinion based on witness statement he did't believe'
14:35 Torture at border: A border tradesperson killed
13:44 Aydeniz: Opposition that doesn't approach the Kurdish problem with courage can not come to power
12:36 Özer the Ministry of Interior announced to be killed, turns up at the hospital
11:14 File of Remziye Bor goes towards to remain unsolved!
10:08 'This unlawfulness in İmralı must end'
09:39 Keskin: Kurdish Language Campaign must be supported
09:16 Hunger strike action in prisons enters day 142
16/04/2021
16:44 OSCE has requested information about 24 journalists from Turkey
15:01 Trees are cut down within the scope of the operation in Diyarbakır
14:07 Support from 17 organizations to Freedom for Öcalan campaign
13:26 Strip search imposed on sick prisoner in Balıkesir
13:06 Hadcuffed photo of Özer whom the ministry told was killed turned up
13:05 New application submitted by Öcalan's attorneys, family and guardian
13:05 HDP women evaluated Istanbul Convention with Danish delegation
13:04 Iranian activist Şemsai dissappeared in İstanbul
12:02 Booklet from Demirtaş's attorneys before Kobanê case
11:20 Şenyaşar family demanding justice for 39 days
11:14 Armed threats of AKP members continue
11:04 29th group takes over the rotating hunger strike
11:03 Attorney Duran: Law enforcement was assigned to acquit the Yıldız family
10:30 Mızraklı: We will rescue Amed from trustee occupation again
10:29 Family wishes to see their son who's behind bars for 28 years
10:28 Social media post about Kemal Kurkut considered 'dangerous in terms of social security'
15/04/2021
16:25 Multiple neighborhoods under blockade in Diyarbakır
16:23 Russia's blackmail to withdraw from Til Rifat lasted a day
16:22 Van Lake brought grand prize from space, alarming for pollution
13:44 Erciş Co-Mayor Çetin released from prison
13:43 Attorneys of Öcalan submit new application to visit İmralı
13:42 Şenyaşar family: They keep protecting the killers
12:59 Summary against Ahmet Şık to strip him of his immunity as MP for saying 'trustee rector' for Bulu
12:58 Vice President of AKP Youth Branch made threats showing his weapon arsenal
11:51 Indictment against our reporter Aslan accepted by court
11:34 'We believe in the organized power of women, not in the legal system'
10:53 Soldiers batter villagers for graffiti
10:52 Military operation in Lice: Multiple houses raided, 4 detained
10:52 Laz teacher responds to Minister Selçuk: Education in mother tongue is a right
09:18 Hunger strike action in prisons enters day 140
08:21 Ahmet Altan released from prison
14/04/2021
15:42 Arrest warrant issued against HDP Provincial Co-chair Alökmen
15:30 Put on trial for entering ‘forbidden military zone’, Mesopotamia Agency reporters acquitted
15:07 Şenyaşar family's attorney: There is a footage of the assault of Yıldız Family
13:38 Toğrul visited Şenyaşar Family: This is not justice, this is the law of the superior